TWONEW SITES DESIGNATED
Withthe bushfire season approaching the Greater Bendigo City Council has designatedtwo extra sites in Redesdale and Heathcote as Neighbourhood Safer Places -Places of Last Resort during a bushfire.
Cityof Greater Bendigo Mayor Cr Rod Fyffe said the two extra sites located at HolyRosary Catholic School Heathcote and the Redesdale Recreation Reserve weredesignated following requests from the CFA in both townships.
“Thepurpose of places of last resort is to provide some protection from the effectsof radiant heat during the passage of a bushfire. They may not have the capacity to cater forspecial needs and there will be no provision for pets or support services forfood, drink or material aid available.
“On a codered, there is no guarantee that the sites will be a safe haven and we wouldlike to make clear that people still need to be fire ready, and have their bushfire safety plans prepared.
“Placesof last resort should only be contemplated when all other bushfire plans havefailed,” said Cr Fyffe.
TheCity of Greater Bendigo’s Neighbourhood Safer Places – Places of last Resortinclude:-
· RedesdaleRecreation Reserve
· HolyRosary Catholic School, Ebden Street, Heathcote
· QueenElizabeth Oval, View Street Bendigo
· CanterburyPark, Simpsons Road Eaglehawk
· Bendigo Showgrounds,Holmes Road, Bendigo,
· Maiden Gully Primary School,Carolyn Way, Maiden Gully
· Lord’s Raceway, McIvorHighway, Junortoun
· Strathfieldsaye PrimarySchool, Uxbridge Street, Strathfieldsaye
· Centro Lansell ShoppingCentre, High Street, Kangaroo Flat
· Dower Park, StationStreet, Kangaroo Flat
“Theexisting eight neighbourhood safer places have all been reassessed by the CFAand the City of Greater Bendigo in accordance with the City’s NeighbourhoodSafer Places Plan,” said Cr Fyffe.